[Tango-L] The ZVI MIGDAL group

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Mon Jan 29 14:02:54 EST 2007

Caroline Polack wrote:

>As per Hector Pablo Pereyra's post to Lucia, he said he picked this name in
>order to bring about awareness and discussion.
>
>Whether you all agree or not with his choice of band name, he certainly got
>your attention and he certainly got you talking about it.
>
>He achieved his purpose. Just wondering if anybody noticed that.

No he didn't. He got us talking about appropriate band names.

So what is more disturbing, that a band might just have a gimmick for
free publicity or that someone actually thinks giving a band a shocking
name will result in any meaningful discussion or insights on anything?
Having been in and out of the media for years I would not ever want to
trust the entertainment industry with a nuanced investigation of a
serious topic. If Hector's band is wildly successful then in a few years
everyone will assume that Zvi Migdal is just a Yiddish tango band --
completely eclipsing its supposed namesake.

I think the far better question is how serious issues are presented in a
profit-driven media. But that's just me...

Cheers,

Jeff