[Tango-L] Chicken Little

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 13:21:23 EST 2007

Oh, but, David, I have a friend who used to dance professionally in musicals. She was often
  required to affect the sexy looking, exaggerated hip movement like those runway models
  (think "Sweet Charity"). It got to the point that she could barely walk due to problems with
  her back. She had to quit dancing, So, the exaggerated hip movement is not very kind to the
  human body. And, shall we say, not biomechanically correct.
  While taking salsa lessons I learned that the hip motion we associate with that dance
  hapens when you step a certain way. Your pelvis drops automatically. Women in the class
  asked if they weren't supposed to be wiggling their hips. The answer was no. Your hips will
  move correctly if you step correctly.
Just another example of someone observing something, and successfully recreating the
  look of the thing, rather than the essence of it.