[Tango-L] Help... historic footage

Hector Pablo Pereyra pablo at thezvimigdal.com
Wed Jan 24 23:23:02 EST 2007

You can go to the Archivo General de la Nacion in Buenos Aires. They
have basically 35mm newsreels transferred to video. The archival method
is a little precarious so I will recommend finding somebody that knows
his way around there (I know some of the tapes by hard, but I live in
NY) You might be able to find excerpts with Orchestras and maybe some
material about tango personalities, there might be some dancing but not
much really.The address is: http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/agn/cine.asp
(it is in Spanish, let me know if you have problems with that)

They also have a photographic archival. I have almost all the tango
related pictures digitized (spent a lot of time there!!) Some I have
seen in books, some not. Depending on what are you trying to do, you
might be able to pan them (Ken Burns style).

Also there is the movie "Tango", directed in 1933 by Luis Moglia Bath,
one of the first Argentine movies with sound. The quality is quite bad
but there is some dancing there, in fact Benito Bianquet "El Cachafaz"
dances there. You can look online for it. If you can't find it (I doubt
it) I can put you in touch with the person that can get it for you.

Some gardel movies have dancing (though Gardel was quite a bad dancer),
but if you are lucky there might be some scene with Tito Lusiardo
dancing and he was very good.

If you tell me more about your project, I might be able to help you.

Good Night

P.