[Tango-L] How to Tango

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Wed Jan 24 07:54:24 EST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:32:03 -0500, you wrote:

>>Many of my students can Tango suprizingly well in one lesson.   They
>>do need to practice fluidity and finesse to various degrees, but they
>>understand the concepts and the basics, including how to follow
>>correctly, and they do them rather rather nicely.., all things
>>considered.
>>

>That's wonderful. I've only seen very few people over the last decade or
>better who could tango surprinsingly well in one lesson. ....

Believe what you will...   I am referring to followers mostly, of
which there are by far more of, but many do understand the four basic
leads, how to move with Tango style (balls of the feet, ti che's
moving into one's space, extended backsteping),  their axis and
dancing under own control, etc., enough to move very nicely on the
floor and to dance.., to the extent of walking, following grapvines,
going to the cross (auto or led) and more.

Of course there are those 'others' too.    ;-/

>>I never try to attract quantity...     Tango isn't for everyone and I
>>don't want those 'others'...    I always try to tell starting students
>>that some will become hooked and others will not like Tango at all.
>
>Since tango is not for everybody (nothing is for everybody anyway), we think
>it's better to cast a wide net and attract many people so a larger number
>will remain after the inevitable attrition....

Whatever is comfortable.  We've never not had at least one new person
to our free basic class in all the 90+ weeks we've given them.   Week
before last there were 10 people.   Last week 6.    It is easier to
teach smaller numbers of course so I perfer 'fewer' at a time.  Both
weeks, most stayed on the entire night and danced.   Enough of them
come back to keep our community constantly growing..

>>The pages were written for those just starting, and also very much for
>>those who need to overcome their tendency to think about their feet. I
>>don't teach anyone to do 8cb's at all.., but rather to go by
>>themselves and go crazy walking all kinds of erratic directions.    To
>>free the minds away from everything except complete and total
>>randomness.

>I guess I missed your point. I did not realize your entire treatise was an
>admonition about not looking at one's feet while dancing tango ;-).

Not just not 'looking'.   I said not *thinking* about them.   It's a
much tougher nut to crack for those with other dance experience..

>All kidding aside, one of the first things we teach people is "not to look at
>their feet". However, I think that "total randomness" might result in total
>chaos.

I tell followers to follow...  I tell leaders to do the random thing
(with complete Tango 'style' of course).   On their own and with no
music...   It seems to work well and gives a clearer understanding of
complete improvisation based on their own whims.   And how to move out
of corners too.   <g>

>For me (my opinion only), tango is a very structured dance in that it
>most be danced to some wonderful music with a very nice rhythm. IMHO,
>totally random movements would result in a chaotic mess. Also, the LOD must
>be respected and randomness of movements on the dance floor will inevitably
>result in a bad dancing experience for all the people involved. I was taught
>by master teachers who I really respect and believe that tango has a code.
>The essence of tango is in the turns which are the famous molinete. The
>woman generally dances around the man as the man dances around the floor
>along the line of dance.

The random thing is done as practice (homework)  to condition and open
the mind to improv.   Certainly not meant to be applied to a dance,
with a partner, with music, on a crowded dance floor.

A lot (10%?) of my first time students understand and can do the
molinete by the end of the first hour.   Maybe 90 mins...  ??  <g>
When I get very good learners, I go long....

>The 8CB is nothing more than the first 3 steps of the womans' turn to
>the left of the man as the man moves forward along the dance floor.

>Why should these 3 perfectly good steps be demonized?

>If one does not teach the grapevine turn, how can learn to do it?

You haven't read my 'How To' pages...  ;-)

For a follower, there should be no such thing as a grapevine.

All of this is in the 'How To' pages.

Especially here
http://www.buffalotango.com/html/l_-_lead.html
for what you ask above.

To be sure, it's only how and what *I* teach and think...
I'm certainly not saying other methods can't work too...

>If they cannot perform turns, I don't think they can really dance tango...
>Anyway, good luck with your efforts to educate people. I think it's great
>you are turning out good tango dancers and growing your community.
>I'll be sure to get in touch if I'm ever in your area and If you come to Atlanta
>it will be my pleasure to meet you and show you around.

>Best,
>
>Manuel

I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta in the past.   A couple times a
year for 2-3 weeks at a time during most of the 80's.   I enjoyed
Atlanta even without Tango.    I'll certainly look you up if I stay or
go through again.

Good tangos...

Floyd

>Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into
>something more.
>http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG

     Argentine Tango - Buffalo Tango - Sun Tango
      * * * * * www.buffalotango.com  * * * * *