[Tango-L] How to Tango

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 17:32:03 EST 2007

>Many of my students can Tango suprizingly well in one lesson.   They
>do need to practice fluidity and finesse to various degrees, but they
>understand the concepts and the basics, including how to follow
>correctly, and they do them rather rather nicely.., all things
>considered.

That's wonderful. I've only seen very few people over the last decade or
better who could tango surprinsingly well in one lesson. ....

>I never try to attract quantity...     Tango isn't for everyone and I
>don't want those 'others'...    I always try to tell starting students
>that some will become hooked and others will not like Tango at all.

Since tango is not for everybody (nothing is for everybody anyway), we think
it's better to cast a wide net and attract many people so a larger number
will remain after the inevitable attrition....

>The pages were written for those just starting, and also very much for
>those who need to overcome their tendency to think about their feet. I
>don't teach anyone to do 8cb's at all.., but rather to go by
>themselves and go crazy walking all kinds of erratic directions.    To
>free the minds away from everything except complete and total
>randomness.

I guess I missed your point. I did not realize your entire treatise was an
admonition about not looking at one's feet while dancing tango ;-). All
kidding aside, one of the first things we teach people is "not to look at
their feet". However, I think that "total randomness" might result in total
chaos. For me (my opinion only), tango is a very structured dance in that it
most be danced to some wonderful music with a very nice rhythm. IMHO,
totally random movements would result in a chaotic mess. Also, the LOD must
be respected and randomness of movements on the dance floor will inevitably
result in a bad dancing experience for all the people involved. I was taught
by master teachers who I really respect and believe that tango has a code.
The essence of tango is in the turns which are the famous molinete. The
woman generally dances around the man as the man dances around the floor
along the line of dance. The 8CB is nothing more than the first 3 steps of
the womans' turn to the left of the man as the man moves forward along the
dance floor. Why should these 3 perfectly good steps be demonized? If one
does not teach the grapevine turn, how can learn to do it? If they cannot
perform turns, I don't think they can really dance tango... Anyway, good
luck with your efforts to educate people. I think it's great you are turning
out good tango dancers and growing your community. I'll be sure to get in
touch if I'm ever in your area and If you come to Atlanta it will be my
pleasure to meet you and show you around.

Best,

Manuel