[Tango-L] How to Tango

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:32:04 EST 2007

Hi Floyd,

I went to your website and started to read your "how to tango" section. I've
learned over the years to keep my opinions to myself, but since you asked
for feedback, I'll give you mine about some parts of your treatise.

The first thing I noticed is that you said that most tango teachers don't
know what they are doing. While it's possible that you might be right, it's
an unnecessarily insulting comment about all the other teachers out there.
Secondly, I read a lot of criticism and disparaging remarks about ballroom
dancing teachers and their methods. Again, I find that gratuitously
offensive. I don't know about other communities, but here in Atlanta there
are no ballroom teachers teaching Argentine tango. At times some teachers
might have tried, but there are so many Argentine Tango teachers around that
it would be a huge waste of time for the ballroomers to get involved. In
other words, at least in Atlanta the threat to the purity of Argentine Tango
by ballroom teachers is a non issue. Besides, I've gotten to know many
ballroom dancers and teachers over the years, and I found many of them to be
nice people, gracious, generous and respectful of the Argentine Tango.

While your comments about tango are mostly true and accurate, they come
accross as judgemental and presumptuous. Also, there is no need to put down
Salsa either. I don't understand why you find it necessary to slam Salsa. I
personally love to dance Salsa and I find it to be as challenging and
rewarding as tango when done to the right music with the right partner.

As you say, tango is all about the lead and follow. However, there are many
ways to impart this knowledge to people. Teaching them certain movements and
techniques is perfectly fine and should not be criticized. We've been
teaching and dancing for over 13 years and have had great success turning
out very good dancers by using many different teaching tools, including the
D8CB. Also, your analogy of tango and tennis might be a good one, but tango
could also be compared to downhill skiing, basketball, racketball or any
other number of sport activities. Sure they are done without much thinking
and rather fluidly and naturally. However, these activities are like tango
in that they must be learned and require a lot of skill and practice before
they can be done effortlessly. Anyway, leading and following are skills that
must be learned and developed. The natural born tango dancer is a rare
thing. There is no miracle "one lesson" system to teach it and it's a rare
follower who can actually follow even the simplest lead if they are totally
inexperienced.

I appreciate the effort you've put into this page and the obvious love you
have for tango. I can also simpathize with your desire to break through and
find a sure fire, simple way to teach people to really dance tango. Still,
you might want to go back and look over your writings. Perhaps it would help
if you try to put yourself into the place of your reader. Please consider
who this reader might be... Perhaps another teacher, maybe a ballroom dancer
or teacher... How about a Salsa dancer or swing dancer who's heard about
Argentineinte tango.... Maybe just some person who knows nothing about tango
and precious little about dance in any form. To some of these people your
words might be off-putting if not downright offensive. Maybe it's good to
remember the old adage about attracting more flies with honey than with
vinegar......

Cheers,

Manuel

visit our webpage