[Tango-L] How to Tango

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Wed Jan 17 18:06:48 EST 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:48:35 -0500, you wrote:

>I agree with Igor: graphically, the page is almost illegible, and the
>material gains nothing by the design presenting it.

Bummer.    My 17 inch  screen resolution is 1024 x 768.
Very clear and legible text.

Can you read larger text such as here?
http://www.buffalotango.com/html/specials.html

I wonder how many are ok with the pages as they are.
Anyone with positive legibility reports please?

Maybe you can also try to increase the text size?  If that's what
works I'd like to advise on the initial lesson pages to do so.

>Also, I recommend giving the raw text a thorough, even professional
>edit. The chummy, poke-poke-a-you-ribs voice doesn't work.  If you really
>want your online lessons to be instructional, then just present the
>matter clearly, impose a clearer structure, and leave room in your
>writing for readers to _think_ as they tackle the subject. Trying to
>entertain the student distracts you from your more important goal, which
>I'm glad to see you pursuing.

I do make a big point of telling everyone to 'think' about what is
read.   To take ones time, to re-read often and to understand small
sections  before moving on.

But the 'chummy' thing to my writing is what keeps *me* entertained,
you know?    :-)   I bust up here sometimes at the ideas in my head.
Ha!    I have to hold back on some of it   It may not be as  funny to
others but it sure helps me get though the day...   I like to play
with words anyway and so if I had to get down to regimented, official
'school' type terms and verbiage I'd go nuts.  <g>

Beyond that, I want to leave people with the impression that Tango
*isn't* structured.   So the learning of it shouldn't be either.  I'm
specifically trying to stay away from 'structure'.

But I'm listening.   :-)   I asked for opinions and yours is as good
as mine right now.   The fact is, nothing is close to being done, and
it's usual for me as I go along  to rewrite a lot...  To trim to a
more concise text.   I guess once the 'humor' of the original has worn
off for me, eh?  :-)   Actually I've already been doing some of that.
I didn't like most of the original 'intro' for instance and rewrote to
smooth it out quite a lot. :-)   I hope you didn't see the original.
:-)

Suffice it to say that I'll be doing a lot of polishing before I'm
done..   But getting it out of my system now, as it wants to come, is
what I'm trying to let happen.

So...  can you tell me if larger text size helps the reading problem?
Thanks...

Floyd