[Tango-L] tango dancers and tango music

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 11:48:36 EST 2007

Hi Paul,

Nice post.  There is always resistance to change when
people are asked to expand their comfort zone.  When I
worked as an operations manager, whenever a new procedure
was introduced, there was usually someone grumbling.
Getting people to accept change was always a challenge,
except for those who were already open to change.  (That
ever happen where you work?)  Either the change stayed or
it didn't but only time and usage determined that.

I think the same thing is happening here in tango.  Only
tango is something that cannot be dictated to someone else.
 I am not saying that some on this list are trying to
dictate it because they really couldn't even if they tried.
 They are just stating their preferences quite strongly.

As for phrasing, what I see happening is that Argentine
Tango with the older music is being referred to as
"traditional Argentine tango", which implies that the nuevo
and neotango music will eventually be considered simply
"Argentine tango".  Something Carol eluded to in her post
about vintage dance.  At milongas, for example, more and
more people expect a little alternative music to be played.
 Whenever we have a guest instructor or DJ in town that
prefers only traditional music (e.g, Susana Miller or
Robert Hauk), we specify that milongas are "traditional",
so that dancers know not to request alternative music.  As
I recall, a few years ago Pablo Veron and Gustavo stopped
calling their style "Nuevo" and simply called it "tango".
This is consistent with that trend.  What determines the
trend?  Common usage.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- paul wouters <pwouters2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all ... greetings from ISTANBUL TURKEY,
>
> There is a strange topic being BATTLED.  Strange to me -
> anyway.
>
> The "classical argentine tango" is what we know of the
> old recordings.
>
> It has been written in a certain time frame - certain
> historical settings - with the instruments that were
> available at those places at those times  - and to
> compete against certain other types of music that existed
> in those days.
>
> Some people can "play alike - same style".  Or they just
> play the same music with contemporary instruments in a
> nowaday frame.
>
> Those days are gone.  In the mean time the world and life
> have evolved.  I think that some people did not notice
> this.
>
> No one is saying that the regular tango no longer is
> tango.  We all agree on that.  Only some people want to
> dance tango on new music framing.
>
> When enough people follow the new directions, tango
> dancing and tango music as a whole simply will follow.
>
> Even when the tango music would turn new paths, so be it.
>  This is LIFE people.  We may try to preserve the "good
> old days" because they were good and brought us happiness
> and because they still have value on this very dat, but
> we should not live in the past.
>
> And it are the tango dancers that will decide !  They do
> their thing on the music that is presented ... or they
> don't ... it is THAT simple.
>
> I do not see the reason for a fight at all.  Some people
> like TANTURI ... and some don't.  Some like NEO TANGO ...
> and some don't.  Either NEO will just have a short life
> ... or it will stay ...
>
> If you want to have any battle at all ... live it on the
> dance floor ... by sitting down or dancing on certain
> songs ... do NOT create a never ending discussion about
> who OWNS ETERNAL WISDOM and who can decide on this.  I do
> not own such wisdom ... and no one does.
>
> Do not fight this issue ... just dance tango ... just
> enjoy life ...
>
> And please note ... I do not intend to start a new fight
> over this :) ... no need for a polemic ... life is
> difficult enough as it is ...
>
> Again my two cents
>
> paul wouters
> www.istanbultango.com

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/