[Tango-L] tango dancers and tango music

paul wouters pwouters2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 04:51:41 EST 2007

Hi all ... greetings from ISTANBUL TURKEY,

There is a strange topic being BATTLED.  Strange to me - anyway.

The "classical argentine tango" is what we know of the old recordings.

It has been written in a certain time frame - certain historical settings - with the instruments that were available at those places at those times  - and to compete against certain other types of music that existed in those days.

Some people can "play alike - same style".  Or they just play the same music with contemporary instruments in a nowaday frame.

Those days are gone.  In the mean time the world and life have evolved.  I think that some people did not notice this.

No one is saying that the regular tango no longer is tango.  We all agree on that.  Only some people want to dance tango on new music framing.

When enough people follow the new directions, tango dancing and tango music as a whole simply will follow.

Even when the tango music would turn new paths, so be it.  This is LIFE people.  We may try to preserve the "good old days" because they were good and brought us happiness and because they still have value on this very dat, but we should not live in the past.

And it are the tango dancers that will decide !  They do their thing on the music that is presented ... or they don't ... it is THAT simple.

I do not see the reason for a fight at all.  Some people like TANTURI ... and some don't.  Some like NEO TANGO ... and some don't.  Either NEO will just have a short life ... or it will stay ...

If you want to have any battle at all ... live it on the dance floor ... by sitting down or dancing on certain songs ... do NOT create a never ending discussion about who OWNS ETERNAL WISDOM and who can decide on this.  I do not own such wisdom ... and no one does.

Do not fight this issue ... just dance tango ... just enjoy life ...

And please note ... I do not intend to start a new fight over this :) ... no need for a polemic ... life is difficult enough as it is ...

Again my two cents

paul wouters
www.istanbultango.com