[Tango-L] Transition of Tango Music

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed Feb 28 03:02:53 EST 2007

Hi, AJ and everyone,

I see your point.  Yes, perhaps I misunderstood.  Possibly because
the framing is not the same in print as in spoken words.

One thing that came to my mind is that perhaps we really need new,
accurate words to describe various dances.  If we agree that dancing
tango to non-tango music is NOT Argentine tango, then it really does
need a name of its own.  The reason is that if something remarkable
happens in that form of dancing, then its own genre will be properly
credited.  As it stands now, this form of dancing really does invade
the space of Argentine tango and covers itself up with its already
established respect.

This most certainly would include a new name for electronic tango.
which, essentially is not tango.  If there is a proper name, then in
any discussion that involves a traditional tango it would be clear
that we should not be comparing apples and oranges.  But as long as
this music tries to call itself Argentine tango, it will never gain
the respect that it might deserve in its own right because it will
always be compared with the traditional tangos and will always look
pale in comparison.  If something is called a tango, then the
expectation is often much higher of that music than what electronic
ones deliver.  In this light, if there was something new and
interesting created in the electronic form, then it would not be fair
if it does not get a proper credit because it was incorrectly
compared to another genre.

I think that these discussions are very good.  They might help each
effort in music and dance to earn its own name and its own place.

So maybe someone can come up with a really good name for these, other
than the tongue-in-cheek that already have been presented?  Any
suggestions?  What realistically can you call a dance that has AT
steps but is danced to some other music?  What can you call music
based on tango that is electronic?

Best regards to all,

Nina