[Tango-L] Transition of Tango Music

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Feb 27 17:46:13 EST 2007

> "Then a bunch of
> completely untutored laborers in Argentina integrated some polka-type
> steps and fused it with newer, racier rhythms and made the vals."

I am sorry, I am no trained historian of music, but this sounds like a
complete canard to me.
Vals (waltz; Walzer) is a European dance, it was not invented in Argentina
by any means. The version heard was that they used to dance normal waltz at
weddings, but they got tired from all that spinning, and started dancing
tango steps to it because it took less energy. I suspect, you were mixing up
that dance invented by laborers  with the milonga in your memory.

Astrid