[Tango-L] Transition of Tango Music

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Tue Feb 27 15:16:00 EST 2007

Jeff Gaynor said:

"Pity it is that nobody cornered
Canaro and the others and had them write a How-To book... Of course,
since these guys were in it as a business they would not be happy about
giving up their secrets either I suspect."

- What secrets do you need, a musician?
Take original records of Canaro himself and listen. There is no more in this
that what one would hear.

"Then a bunch of
completely untutored laborers in Argentina integrated some polka-type
steps and fused it with newer, racier rhythms and made the vals."

- Dear Jeff, don't you find it strange that a "bunch of untutored laborers"
wrote a wonderfully complex classic-type dancing music while nowadays people
with university diplomas obliviously listen to pop?

Thank you, Gregory for the wonderful and inspiring letter, but I feel a
little sorry.
You mentioned mostly Pugliese and Piazzolla as examples, but it is probably
a musician's choice.
That is the roots of modern tango music. Which is ... hm... not... hm...
right.
While we, dancers do not consider neither later Pugliese nor Piazzolla
(after, say 1955 ) suitable for tango dancing. Please, learn the 20
orchestras recorded danceable tango music ( and complex too, sometimes
polyphonic, polyrhythmic ) in the period of 1920-1952. That is tango !

I'd like to bring here one example: A German classical composer, Stefan
Wolpe wrote a "Tango" piece for piano in 1927. Very dark. I like it. Very
Tango. You can find a record. An interpretation of Tango different than
after-Piazzolla's.

Igor