[Tango-L] Transition of Tango Music

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 05:46:58 EST 2007

Consider this: there is nowhere for us to actually learn HOW TO compose the
tango other than transcribing and that's always limited. So even if we want
to write in the style it's very hard. I compose in the old style of
1920s/30s jazz but, only because I have a modern jazz education. Tango info
is ultra hard to come by. More education and you might find more people
creating new material in an old style. Many classical composers still write
in an old style but, embracing innovation is also crucial for survival of
any art form and especially a musical one. I think that putting tango in the
classical genre of thinking is the biggest nail on the coffin. It was a pop
music of its' time and that's what it should be thought of. This will do
more for its' longevity even if as a writer you can apply classical style
thinking to it. Most often classical music is seen as stuffy, stuck up and
'dead'. If tango is put in the same box you can kiss it good bye. My
thoughts on it any way.

-A