[Tango-L] Respect and love of cultures

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Mon Feb 26 11:25:05 EST 2007

I am responding to what Nina wrote about loving your own culture and
being able to embrace another.   I started coming to Buenos Aires in
2000.  My first two years were essentially to dance tango.  Then I began
to realize that I loved it here.  I had a feeling that I never had in
the U.S.  In 4 years I commuted to Buenos Aires 18 times.  In 2004 I
sold everything to move here permanently.  It is not easy to change your
country.  I have adapted very well to life here, I love it.  I do not
see myself returning to live in the U.S.

I have had many interviews in the newspapers and magazines all over the
U.S and Europe.  I have had interviews in the paper here in Buenos Aires
and on the radio as well.  Another reporter contacted me yesterday to do
a story.  They all write the same thing - I sold everything I owned to
come dance tango.  This is not true.  Tango was only a small part of my
decision.  I came here to live because I love the culture, the people.
I felt that my life would be better by living here.

I had a wonderful life in the U.S.  I think the U.S. is a great
country.  I am proud to be from the United States.  Unlike many people
who come here or travel and say things like "Nobody thinks I am
American" proudly, I don't have those issues.  I am American or
Norteamericana.  That will never change.  If you are one of those people
that goes around bragging "Nobody thinks I am American" you might want
to ask yourself why you think that way.

That being said, I have an Argentine life here.  I work and live in
pesos.  My friends are mostly Argentines.  Although I came here 18 times
it is not the same as living here.  Argentines have a fierce pride in
their culture.  No matter how much they complain (and they do it a
lot)they are proud to be Argentines.  They make look European, the
buildings here may look European, but here is Argentina, a completely
different culture.  They are very emotional about it and resent the
intrusion of the U.S. to try and change it.

Yes, Argentines have a reputation for being arrogant, loud, and
aggressive.  Americans on the other hand have a reputation for being
cold, materialistic, and demanding.  Stereotypes come from somewhere,
they don't just get made up.  In my experience the Ex-pats who have come
here to live because it is cheaper, to dance tango, to run away from the
politics of their country, are rarely happy here. They complain more
than the Argentines if you can believe that.  They want the sidewalks to
be like the ones in the U.S.  Their conversations are peppered with
sentences that start out as; "What they need to do here...."  or "These
people don't understand...."   They can't understand why there are no
Pop Tarts, chocolate chips, and many other foods from the U.S.  They
complain constantly.  They do not adapt to the culture.  They want the
Argentine culture to change to accommodate them - in their world it
would make Argentina a better place.

While all the suggestions they make are not wrong or bad, it is the
premise from which they come.  Rather than accept the culture of a
country THEY CHOSE to live in, they want the culture to change.  They
think that if the culture changes it will be better.  For who?  Do you
know the sad thing?  The majority of these complainers are from the
U.S., not Germany, Canada, England, or other countries.  It is
embarrassing to me at times to have to explain to Argentines what is
being said.  It only propagates the  stereotypes as Americans being
demanding and wanting the whole world to be like them.

Translate that to tango.  Argentine tango is a part of the culture
here.  Has it changed in the 80 years or so that it has been danced?
Yes, in many ways.  The original tango was almost brutal in the way it
was danced.  The dance brings a history with it that is rich and
colorful.  While the majority of Argentines may not dance it or even
listen to tango music, they are proud of it.  They are proud that people
come from all over the world to dance their dance.

When  I tell Argentines that I dance tango regardless of their age,
their test to me as a foreigner dancing their dance is exactly what do I
dance.  Show tango, tango nuevo to Argentines is not Argentine Tango.
Most call it tango for foreigners or tango for export.  You can debate
this, you can try to prove me wrong with all the statistics and articles
and hearsay you want, but I live here.  Argentine Tango to Argentinians
is a cultural icon.  Plain and simple.  Why do Americans more than any
other group of people want to change, deface, this cultural icon?

 From my vantage point here is what I see.  The people who dance
Argentine Tango are just as opinionated and passionate as the ones who
dance other forms of tango.  They are fearful of the art form being
wiped out by people who have no respect for the dance and culture that
makes up Argentine Tango.  Because of this, they resent the what goes on
in their communities. On the other hand the other camp in MY OPINION
tends to act like me when I was 14 and rebelling against my parents.  I
called them old, stuffy, closed minded. I exhibited rude behavior, made
fun of, and had little respect for anything except people who agreed
with me.  Essentially I was just as close minded only I didn't see it
then.  It becomes an US-THEM thing.  There are no winners or being
right.  Being right seems to be an American thing.  Americans will argue
to the death about being right.

It doesn't really matter what you dance, what does matter is respect.
Name calling like "Aryan"  is rude and unnecessary.  Argentines are
Latin Americans.  It is insulting to use this terminology in any form.
Social Argentine tango is not going to die away.  No matter what you
guys from the other side think.  Maybe in your community, but not here.
It does evolve and change, but it will not die.  It will not lose the
music or the embrace or the passion.  Ask any Argentine who lives here,
even if they do not like the music.

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (3.1.0.10 - 9.062.007).
http://www.pctools.com/anti-virus/