[Tango-L] Piazzolla "Alternative" Music?

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Feb 24 23:29:52 EST 2007

> Huck is dead on right about Piazzolla. It is absulutely
> alternative music. If you try to dance tango to it, IMHO,
> you will look even more foolish than the people who try to
> dance nuevo to it. That's not to say that it can't be
> danced to, just to say that those very few who can dance
> that well are not to be found on this list. (Unless they
> are lurking.)
>
> Sean

May I guess that includes you and Trini?
Piazzolla is not "alternative" as it not something other than tango and
alien to the genre, it was born from tango as a further step in the
development of musical history. You will have to force me if you want to
make me dance tango to salsa, pop and such, but when, once in a blue moon,
very late at night, one of the more danceable pieces by Piazzolla comes on
and I happen to be with right partner, it feels like a dark starry sky has
filled the air, there is nothing like it.