[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Fri Feb 23 23:03:10 EST 2007

Manuel,

I think you believe you have us 'iconoclasts' at a disadvantage.
That some how we're neophytes out in the tango world and that we're
just learning tango for the first time.  "What's an ocho ?".  If so,
then I know you've got me wrong.

I can't speak for any of the other iconoclasts, nor the bleeding
heart Acceptance Crowd...however if I may make a gross generalization
here, I believe you're talking as though we've left the tango fold as
it were.  That we *REFUSE* to dance tango to anything EXCEPT non-
traditional music (which so many of you have pointed out is NOT tango
but something else, so noted, your opinion has been duly noted,
logged, and classfied...you'll be hearing from the tango authorities
soon enough).

Nothing could be further from the truth for me.  I'm a fan (which is
a huge understatement if you've read my blog) of all the music, I was
simply asking (since I started this thread and ended it several msgs
ago) a question which would help me to classify what I'm hearing.
And musically speaking I don't give a rats damn about genre or
style...just as long as I'm in connection with my partner.

And isn't that the idea that is so prevalent in every tango class, at
every practica, at every milonga...to create and maintain the
connection with said partner ?

And as an up and coming lead in the tango world isn't it the job of a
good lead to adapt, engage, and lead your follower via whatever means
necessary ?

Again, not speaking for anyone but myself...as we iconoclasts are
very independent and just absolutely hate it when others speak for
us.  For *ME* its not about the patterns or steps as Nina would
imply.  Its about the connection baby.  Nothing more...nothing less.
Its the meshing of two bodies moving in near perfect unison, and what
adds icing to the cake is the floating, lulling melodic sounds of
passion, patience, grace, and beauty...the music.  And whatever music
that works for you...great.  You have what does it for you, I'm happy
for you.  I have what does it for me, and the rest of my iconoclastic
brethren.  And that works.

One more point of note here: Let's not confuse the sizzle for the
steak folks.  Which is to say that  whatever gets you to that place,
where you connect with your partner, musically, emotionally,
spiritually, is what works.  If its traditional, golden-age, non-
traditional, alternative, whatever label you want to put it on...as
long as its between you and your partner, and it works.  I say go do.

Just my .02 cents worth.

M i l e s.

TANGOBLISS - - -  BUILDING TANGO WEBSITES FOR TANGO TEACHERS
M i l e s                                info at tangobliss.com
MagicMiles Software                         (415) 686 - 6164
http://www.tangobliss.com/        AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles