[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Fri Feb 23 14:43:52 EST 2007

Hi, Miles,

I have no problem with people dancing tango moves to whatever music they want.

I do have a problem when they call it "Argentine Tango" because there
is nothing Argentine about it.

One major difference between foreign and Argentine tango dancers is
that for Argentines, tango is about the music and for foreigners it is
about the movement.  This is the reason WHY dancing with Argentine men
is so very special.  Putting movements to whatever music might be a
nice intellectual exercise, but it is not tango and no Argentine
dancer, including social and professional dancers will ever call it
that.

What makes tango music special and unique is its formation - many
intertwined voices of instruments and many overlapping rhythms.  It is
music that makes tango tango, not the movements.

Historically, it was the orchestras that changed the music and,
subsequently the dance has changed, particularly Julio de caro and
Miguel Calo.  The movements of the dance, such as the turns, followed
the changes in the music.

Many foreign dancers do not understand that the dance, in this case,
follows the music and perceive Argentine tango being about the moves,
and that is where the confusion arrives.

Again, people can dance to whatever music, but it is not Argentine
Tango.  Maybe someone should invent a name for this dance that is
danced outside of Argentina to all other music.  That way we can carry
on a discussion without constrantly debating the definitions.

Best regards to all,

Nina