[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Fri Feb 23 14:26:39 EST 2007

Nina,

 >Alternative music for tango is an invention of feverish foreign
 >(non-Argentine) minds.  Tango is a dance that is danced 2x4.  But if
 >you dance it to anything other tango music, meaning tango music that
 >is POLYPHONIC is its formation, it is NOT tango, but some other dance,
 >originated outside of Argentina, that is only based on Argentine Tango
 >moves.

Ok...so why is it NOT Tango ?  Let me be clear in my question here
Nina.  I respect your opinion but I think you're not allowing for the
dance to grow and to change.  Keeping the dance tied to one specific
genre of music when that music is no longer being created on a
regular basis the way it was about 50 years ago (again remember I'm
just a neophyte, what do I know), then I think you're not allowing
for the possibility that the dance will change accordingly (and it is
changing).  Look at what happened with Tango itself, it is the child
of a much older dance, Canyengue, where the music is somewhat similar
to what we would consider 'milonga' today.  Whereas today's Tango is
more refined and as is the music the accompanies it.  So is it
stretch of the imagination that 10 years from now...what we consider
alternative music will become a staple diet of tango music ?  And
that the dance you are dancing it to is in fact Tango ?

 >If you ask Argentines what they consider to be "alternative" tango
 >music, some who think of music will say "Piazzolla".  Others who think
 >lyrics will name singers and songs from Rock Nacional genre, because
 >those lyrics are just like las letras de tango.

And if memory serves Piazzolla was a 'rebel' in his day as well, and
most didn't consider his music 'tango' music either.

And now its a staple diet of 'golden age' tango music.

Best,

Nina