[Tango-L] R: World Championship - Why not?

Mauro Casadei m_casadei67 at tin.it
Fri Feb 23 06:03:06 EST 2007

Here is my point about why Tango competitions is not my cup of tea.

It all boils down to how we consider tango: in my opinion Tango is an
intimate dance, danced WITH and FOR my partner, NOT for an audience.

The idea of tango as a show for others is already - in my opinion - a
deviation fro the main idea of tango.

Indeed, even the best dancers in the world, give their best when they dance
for themselves rather than constructive a choreography for a show.

The idea of a *competition* goes even further in taking away from tango it's
peculiarity, its magic, the magic that derives from the fact that most of
what happens is within the soul and not in the steps and feet.

"Tango is between one step and another" used to say Gavito, and it is also
my view.

Setting up a competition is certainly PROFESSIONALLY fair to those who make
a living of tango: but it is is like treating tango just as other sports,
which in my view means spoiling the magic of it.

However, this is just my opinion; I know there are plenty of people who just
crave for a "tango skill rating", and who am I to say they are wrong ?