[Tango-L] Tango World Championship - judging

miamidances@aol.com miamidances at aol.com
Thu Feb 22 23:11:15 EST 2007

 I personally believe that a syllabus could be developed. I've always joked about dancing needs to have people certified and licensed the same as doctors or lawyers. To know what you are doing does takes 4 to 6 years just to start. Let's not get that serious. How about if dance instructors get licensed like beauticians, aerobics & pilates instructors or masseuse's, Needing a year to two years to get licensed. It is ridiculous with many of the people presenting themselves as dance instructors.

 Not even Arthur Murray Fred Astaire studio follow strict guidelines or a professional set of rules. I received a 6 week training course at Arthur Murray's and they threw us out on the floor as teachers with students paying full price. I later did go thru being certified, It took me 2 1/2 years for my first certification. It is about a four hour process having to perform the man's and woman's parts by yourself when steps are called out. Then dance the ladies and man's part by yourself in time to music. Then dance both parts with a partner in time to music.

 If dance instructors had to be licensed, Arthur Murray and Fred Astaire would lose Seventy five percent of their instructors over night. In Miami and the Tango world we would lose about ninety percent of the people that proclaim themselves to be teachers.

 I feel sorry for you students attempting to find teachers that know what they are doing. There aren't very many.

 Randy in Miami