[Tango-L] Tango World Championship - judging

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Fri Feb 23 05:08:01 EST 2007

> I don't follow ballet closely enough, however, if you ask
> Baryshnikov, I'm sure he'd have an opinion.

If you'd follow ballet a little more you would know that Baryshnikov is no
longer really where it's at...

> We all make judgements on dancers when we select partners
> at a milonga or when we critique a demo.  But these
> judgements are usually kept private.  A Competition makes
> these judgements public.

No. In a competition the daners are only seen from the outside, the judges
do not dance with them.

 To claim that one's tango skill cannot be judged
> strikes me as hypocritical.

See above. One's tango skill can only really be judged by someone who dances
with us and who is at least our level or above.
As I pointed out before, what do you do when the whole competition is a
little hypocritical? It reminds me a bit of that mail that appeared once on
tango-l about "there was an international tango competition in (xy, don't
want to embarrass anyone) where I live, I was there and all the top places
from 1-3 were won by students that I trained. " When I asked who won the
other places I received no answer from him. I am not trying to say that the
first 3 places in the mundial are always won by Argentines, this is no
longer the case, but the judging certainly appears to be very subjective.
Dance judges are notorious for being corrupt, not just in Argentina.

> This thread, though, has been dominated by observers rather
> than participants.  No competitor or judge have commented.
> Perhaps there are none on this list.  Their comments is
> what I would find interesting.

Those who won are not going to tell you how they did it. I know six of the
couples who participated personally. I saw some of the rehearsals right
before they went to BA. Yes, the ones here were ranked later in the order of
their skill, but where they ended up in the competition, in relation to the
other participants, is another story. I have also danced with all of the men
at some time or other, and taken lessons with them.. I know that most of
them can dance one or two of the styles, but not the other.
I have also seen the winners of stage tango and salon tango competition 2006
in a performance in Tokyo, together with Sergio Cortazzo and his new
partner. They were not bad, but the only one who looked really good in that
show was Sergio and his partner. As far as I know, Sergio was also on the
jury, and he was also on the jury in the Asian competition. Who knows, he
may even have taught them himself...

Astrid