[Tango-L] types of valses?

Tango Tango tangotangotango at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:51:33 EST 2007

Check out the great Musette artists like Gus Viseur, Tony Murena, Emile
Vacher and Menard Ferrero from the mid-20 to the late 30s. They play Valse,
Valse-Boston, Java and Mazurka all with accent on the first.

Racheras come in 2/4 3/4 and 4/4. I have recordings of 4/4 songs that are
designated by the artist as 'Vals-Ranchera'. The score is very different
from a Ranchera-Bolero with the bajo-sexto being very syncopated, something
that could explain why they call it a waltz.

The artists are not always the most meticulous when it comes to analysing
what they do. -Thank god.

Neil