[Tango-L] ATM Issues in Buenos Aires

Thorsten Zörner mail at thorstenzoerner.de
Tue Feb 20 19:36:47 EST 2007

Dear Rick, dear all,

this is Thorsten from Duesseldorf, Germany, writing.

I've been to Bs As last December and I had minor ATM problems once in
a while:
Obviously there were peak shopping/money withdrawal times during the
weekends prior to the holidays
and some banks seemed to have run out of money... well, their ATMs I
mean.
Banco de Galicia - for instance at Scalabrini Ortiz y Cordoba, couple
of blocks from Canning -
always seemed to have enough money though - they were almost always
a save bet for me. Maybe this works for you guys, too.

Ah, right, and I used a Maestro debit card,
which doesn't charge me extra for cash advance,
like a credit card normally does.

Oh, and I lost my debit card two years ago,
when I got confused about the different "workflow" of Argentinian ATMs:
In Europe - and as I remember also in the US - you will always get
your card back first
and then receive the money.
In Bs As you'll get your money first - if you get it, followed by
your card some seconds later.

Have a great stay in Bs As,
cheers,
Thorsten.