[Tango-L] Tango World Championship

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Feb 20 00:03:18 EST 2007

>From the outside, Japan would seem a much more unlikely country to
participate in the mundial than the US. From here it is a 36 hour flight to
BA, with two transfers in the US usually (West Coast and East coast or
Houston), and there are not many Japanese who speak Spanish or even fluent
English either. But many of the local teachers participated in the
organisation. They either competed themselves or functioned as judges or
hosts etc. in the Asia championships, the judges who came over from
Argentina were Sergio Cortazzo and Gachi Fernandes, and maybe the Rivarolas,
all dancers who have been to Tokyo many times before and would be able to do
lots of other things while they are here, and then the teachers either went
as couple to BA if they were Japanese, or, in case if the Argentine studio,
they paired some of their students (often teachers of other dances or
movements themselves) with some of their young teaching assistents from
Argentina. All of this seems to have worked quite well, as almost everybody
from Tokyo made it into the second round, and some to the semifinals, and we
had several winning couples (the combined ones ) who ranked place 3, 4 and 5
(place 4 in 2005, place 3 and 5 in 2006). I believe that place 2 this year
was a couple from Hyogo, Japan, who I don't know personally. 3 years ago a
couple from Korea won the Mundial and they danced in Tokyo at our milonga on
their way back to Seoul.
The only thing that is still lacking here is, I wish we had teachers who
prepare us for the salon tango competition...

Astrid