[Tango-L] A Pickpockets History of Argentine Tango

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 21:48:19 EST 2007

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:
 Also, I would
> restrain myself from
> viewing history through the lenses of any poetry, like
> Tango lyrics. Any art
> is fiction. It just follows the rules of a genre. This is
> it.

Lyrics and poetry can still reflect the social
consciousness of the times.  Think of the folk songs of the
60's which protested the Vietnam war or those sugary songs
from the 50's when people were prospering after the end of
WWII.

Fiction, movies, and novels also reflect what people are
thinking and feeling, as well as social norms.  They are
much better in conveying pop culture and social history
better than traditional history books.  I once did a paper
in graduate school using comic books to show the changing
role of women in society over the years.  There's a term
for that type of analysis, but I can't recall what it is.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/