[Tango-L] A Pickpockets History of Argentine Tango

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 11:55:03 EST 2007

Hello Victor,

I read your article yesterday and found it's use of lyrics
to convey the social aspects of the times interesting.  In
comparison, other histories of tango I have read seem
Disneyesque.  Until I finished reading the book on the
activities of the Zwi Migdal (last Wednesday, actually), I
might have thought your presentation on the aspects of
prostitution and poverty exaggerated.  I now know that it
is not.

Nowadays, many people present tango as somewhat highbrow.
I've heard many comments about tango being a "thinking
man's" dance.  That its difficulty in learning makes it a
dance for a select few.  (It isn't but not because of the
difficulty.  Tango can be as simple or as difficult as one
wants it to be.)  It's nice to see a history that really
puts tango back in the streets.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- La Pungista <apickpocketshistoryoftango at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello People,
>
>    I have posted a draft of a history of Argentine Tango
> for all to read, comment, criticize and suggest.
>
> www.geocities.com/apickpocketshistoryoftango
>
>  Just send any of the above to so i can integrate your
> comments:
>
> apickpocketshistoryoftango at yahoo.com
>
> Thank-you.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/