[Tango-L] New tango texts?

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Thu Feb 1 10:03:44 EST 2007

Yo!

I've been thinking. Now before you all defenestrate, I was thinking that
since I don't speak Spanish I miss a lot of what happens in tango,
milongas and such. Obviously the first thing to do is look at some
translations, but, that really doesn't quite work. Many of them are too
idiomatic to really give more than a sense of what is meant. Having a
long running commentary to illuminate the meaning completely spoils the
impact in performance. Not good.  So what is my point of this post?

-> Can anyone point me at some English texts that would make good lyrics
for tango, milonga or vals? <-

These should be idiomatic in English. I'm just curious as what the
bilingual speakers on this list would count in this category.  These may
or may not be in other songs or pulled from literature. What I'm looking
for is immediate cognition viz., you hear it and think "this would make
a good tango" etc.

Cheers,

Jeff