[Tango-L] The Suggested Lead/Frame

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 19:59:07 EST 2007

Actually, I have to agree with TFH that practicing without
the arms is great, if it is done correctly.  It is done
correctly if the couple still move in unison.  It is not
correct if he gets ahead of her.  For women, this practice
technique makes them more aware of their balance, makes
them move themselves (be more active), and can encourage
them to be creative.  For men, it makes them wait for the
woman and really be aware of her.

Michael, if you have problems finding a woman's axis, the
problem could be with the woman.  She always needs to
convey to the man where her axis is.  I don't believe that
a man should assume responsibilities that aren't his,
otherwise, the dance could become a chore for him instead
of fun.  Others may have different opinions.  Since you
don't dance open-embrace, you might not have explored using
no embrace but doing so will help your close-embrace.

But an interesting aspect is WHEN the frame needs to be
strong and when it can lighten up.  When I lead, I make
sure it is firm for the intial lead, but I lighten up a
touch when the woman starts moving so that I can adjust for
what she actually does.  I lighten up a bit so that the
woman can move freely and find her own balance point.  I
might stay firm if I know I want to control her weight
shift, but that usually isn't the case.

What I often find is that men usually have a much firmer
embrace than is necessary.  They seem to confuse
maintaining contact with keeping a firm embrace.  My best
dance partners are those who can maintain contact (I feel
cared for in his arms) but who don't try to control me.

Happy New Year!

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- steve pastor <tang0man2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tango For Her wote:
>   "I think that we all find that:
> (1) those who agree don't write back to the group
> (2) those who don't agree do write to the group. "
>
>   There is at least one additional possibility...
>
>   Some of us disagree but realize that there is no
>   possiblity of changing your mind, and have decided
>   not to waste our time.
>
>   Nevertheless...
>
>   In my opinion "the finer points of dance" have nothing
>   to do with NOT creating a physical connection. That
>   physical connection is what enables both haptic
>   communication and our perception of our partner and
>   their relationship to us.
>   Encouraging people to use visual clues can distract
>   them from learning to use both propriopercption and
>   their ability to sense changes in pressure where they
>   are in physical contact with their partner. Those
> changes
>   indicate the "lead", or "where the partner is" in
> relation
>   to the lead and the leader.

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/