[Tango-L] Milonga 101 -- leaving the floor at the end of a tanda

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Mon Dec 31 15:33:42 EST 2007

Don't know what you are experiencing but here in MI there are less leads
than follows by a large ratio, so dancers are frequently snarfing up
their dance partner for the next tanda, while still on the floor.  Less
common with the older folks than the college set.

Some observe the 'codigos' here but many people are very familiar within
their own small group and have their 2 or 3 preferences and do not
really dance around socially.  They have their tandas all lined up.

This can unfortunately be very hard for a newcomer (or a latecomer) (or
a NNNNNN, where NNNNNN=more prevalent gender, if there is a handful or
more extra of one gender).

Sitting out two or more tandas is maybe de rigeur somewhere like BsAs
when you are an out-of-towner.  But if you are in your own community and
you are not on the floor for 45 minutes it sure feels like you came out
for a night of dancing and got nothing but a lot of sitting in.

A plea for taking the follow back to the floor, and dancing around with
partners you haven't danced with in a while! :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :)