[Tango-L] Dancing with a broom

Norman Tiber natiber at charter.net
Fri Dec 28 00:14:33 EST 2007

At the risk of “enabling” postings about women as “metaphors,” I do
have to admit that I have been guilty of using the “women as a broom”
image.

I have done this when describing the qualities that I look for in a
dance partner, including my favorite partner, my wife Anne, in
certain aspects of the Tango.

I do not want to dance with brooms, violins, etc. etc. etc. at Milongas.

At a workshop/practica, when I am trying to work out my lead on some
new technique or step, I do appreciate it if my partner can tolerate
being pushed and shoved  around the floor like a broom. I try to do
this gently and move from a practice hold to close embrace as I gain
some mastery.

Initially, I want my partner to be silent while I am working out my
“cognitive map” of what I am trying to lead. But as I progress,
feedback from my partner about what she is experiencing, what is
working, what is not, suggestions to help me with my lead are
essential. For me, this works much better than using two broom sticks.

I have been a student of Argentine Tango for about three and a half
years. Some women have a zero broom tolerance. I respect this and,
given my learning style, try not to impose my “broom” needs on them.
My wife has about a ten minute broom tolerance and I try to limit our
practicas, when I am in the “I don’t know what I’m trying to lead
mode,” to no more than ten minutes.

Now I must admit that I have benefited from the weeks of discussion
on Tango L about women as a metaphor. Everyone in my Tango community
knows about my need for “broom tolerance” from my workshop/practica
partners. But for the New Year, I am taking a resolution to switch
from a “broom” to a “Stradivarius” metaphor. Any woman who can
tolerate my pushing and shoving her around the floor is as special as
a Stradivarius, whose exceptional qualities I appreciate to the fullest!

Wishing all a New Year filled with Tango and peace!

Norm