[Tango-L] The Suggested Lead

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 15:31:15 EST 2007

Tsk, Tsk, some of you guys seem to be answering as if the
woman is an object. :)

The marca/lead and the movement of the step are two
different things.  And what actually happens is a third
matter, which I think is the point of TFH's post.  The
woman might decide to shorten the step (or lengthen it) for
different reasons.  Maybe the floor is slippery and she
takes shorter steps to maintain her balance.  Maybe her
shoe is slipping.  Maybe she sees another couple barreling
down and she's trying to avoid a collision.  Maybe her foot
gets stuck on a sticky spot when she's trying to glide
across.  Maybe she's simply not a skilled dancer.  Or maybe
the actual marca was different than the virtual marca the
man had in his head.

Igor:
It might help you to know that the default of the woman is
to keep her free leg straight and trying to reach the
floor.  When the man lowers his center of gravity, her free
leg will naturally extend as her standing leg bends with
him.  He will, of course, still need to indicate the
direction of her leg extension.

You might also enjoy this article by Sharna Fabiano in
which she uses metaphors of painting and cars to describe
tango, including the woman's role.

Understanding Tango Language and the Follower's Defaults
http://www.sharnafabiano.com/

Happy Holidays!
Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> The idea of Tango For Her is wonderful - a leader follows
> the follower after
> the lead.
> I understand it very well. It is a very strong idea and
> it works.
>
> But may I ask you a question, Tango For Her,
> >From what teacher did you learn this, who said that:
> "We have all learned that a short step is lead by raising
> your center and a
> long step is lead by lowering.."
>
> Igor Polk

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/