[Tango-L] The Suggested Lead

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 11:54:44 EST 2007

We have all learned that a short step is lead by raising your center and a long step is lead by lowering when you are in the pivot much like you would do if you had to push a car.  You have to lower your center of gravity.

  In my terminology, on a macro level, there are three things you can do in tango, you can do a side step, back step, front step and pivot.  I mention this because I tend to overuse the word pivot.  By pivot, in this conversation, I don't mean to turn.  It is that place where your feet are together.

  As you are together, with your feet together, and you bend the knee of the leg on which you are standing, she knows something is coming.  Waiting with baited breath :o) she knows a long step may be coming.

  Most of you have had classes where you stand chest-to-chest or, perhaps, in open embrace with your follower's hands on your chest and you attempt to lead different size steps.  That is a class in itself.  Once you get that feel, that fine communication with your partner, you CAN lead without a frame.

  Now, with that said, I HAVE been lead by milongueros with that strong frame.  It is quite something else.  I use it from time to time. But, there are different ways to lead.  The way of leading where you pay so much attention to your follower that you don't often need a strong frame, I am told over and over again, is a beautiful and much appreciated way to lead.

    Followers comment that this way of leading is not only soft and full of subtle communications, but also that it is very exact.  Typical comments that you can receive from this kind of lead are that she feels like she can’t do anything wrong, that she feels very secure, that she feels like she can do more because you are acutely aware of her balance, she feels like you are paying attention to her and waiting for her.