[Tango-L] tell me why someone can not stand comparison of a dancer to a musical instrument

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 04:36:40 EST 2007

In addition to all the reasons already stated (I especially concur with the statements essentially saying that
feelings can not be argued away as in "you should not feel that way"), using the violin comparison is inadequate because it does not even apply to tango (or dancing in general).

In any dance that I know, and especially so in tango, there are two creative subjects, two actors interacting through dance, which involves body, mind, and soul.
In playing any instrument that I know, there is a subject using body, mind, and soul and an object which only has body - no mind and no soul.

We do not desire one of the partners in tango to have and to use no mind and no soul, do we?

(Some may argue that some instruments, like perhaps a Stradivarius violin, have a soul - certainly not a mind - but I believe that to be a fallacy. Another subject for a different interest group.)

...dubravko

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
   this life is not a rehearsal