[Tango-L] Being "flamed by the list"

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Thu Dec 20 09:50:13 EST 2007

Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

> If anyone had attempted to provide such information, he would have been mercilessly
> flamed by the list. I did think about correcting Mario's perceptions about how Tango
> should be danced, i.e. without fixed and practiced patterns, but I figured I'd just
> get flamed anyway for ... 'not being nice to a newbie', so I didn't bother.

As I have indicated in recent posts in the last weeks, the "no personal
flaming" rule is being enforced, and it has made a noticeable difference.

So ... it really depends on how good the poster is at presenting a
counter-opinion, even rather strongly, and even deriding a different
opinion, without making it personal. So one can certainly "straighten
out" a newbie's alleged misconception, even quite forcefully, while
being perfectly nice to him. Or refute a so-called expert's claim on the
"only right way" of doing something without riduling him (this may take
more restraint but it can be done ...).

So go ahead and try to provide useful information (or ask a question)
without fear of being flamed. (No guarantees that your *opinion* won't
be strongly contradicted, however ... that is rather part of the
function of the list.)

And if you believe someone is violating this policy and nothing is being
done about it (I don't always read every article posted to the list),
please send email to the administrator at tango-L-owner at mit.edu (and/or
the alleged perpetrator) rather than to the entire list.

Thanks,

Shahrukh Merchant
Tango-L administrator
Tango-L and Tango-A subscription information, FAQ and rules at
http://www.tango-L.com/