[Tango-L] Tango technique vs. Milonga technique

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 16:49:24 EST 2007

                                                                                                              As a newly obsessed learner (3mos.) of A.T., I find it startling the amount of controversy and contention on threads about Tango technique...what is good form and what isn't, is so heatedly debated that it often looks more like a war zone than the simple sharing of information. So much difference of opinion and staunchly defended approaches to also include such minute nuance/details of posture, balance, muscle groups, exercises, etc., etc. that it seems a daunting task to even attempt to do the dance..
 And on the other hand, whenever the Milonga (song) is discussed. There is usually a statement or two, rarely a disagreement, not much in the way of splitting hairs nor defensiveness and almost no strongly held opinions...
 I don't get it. Why is it like that, what's the BIG difference between the two songs/dances that would produce such a different intellectual approach between them??
  Is it that one is just fun and the other more serious and painful??  What's up?