[Tango-L] Problem with iTunes

Norman Tiber natiber at charter.net
Wed Dec 19 14:54:39 EST 2007

Attention all of you collectors of Tango music using iTunes,

AT the last Milonga I DJed, I was asked to play “A Media Luz.”
I went to the alphabetical listing of songs and none of my versions
were at the beginning of the list, where they should be.

In checking for the missing versions of “A Media Luz,” I found them
listed alphabetically under “Media Luz.” When a song begins with an
“A” (grammatically a function word, an article), I tunes ignores the
“A” and automatically sets the sort function to begin with the first
letter of the next word, in this case “Media.” This is true if you
are using a Mac or PC.

I have verified this with Mac Techies. If you want to alphabetically
list songs beginning with the article “A” you need to:

1. Highlight a song beginning with the article “A.”

3. Open the “Get Info” window (under File for a Mac) and click on
“Sorting.”

4. You will see the song listed in the “Sort Name” box. In the case
of “A Media Luz” it will be listed as “Media Luz.” If you add the “A”
and click “OK,”
the song will be sorted correctly.

I hope my explanation is clear and will help others that have had
problems finding songs beginning with “A.”

So itunes isn’t perfect!

Norm