[Tango-L] pseudo-milongueros, time machine, extinction of milonguerAs, Marketing of Apocalyptic Tango

burak ozkosem buraktango at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:07:50 EST 2007

Before start writing, I should clarify that I believe the experience of
Milongueros and Milongueras is invaluable, and each day this precious life
experience becoming more antique, most probably it will end up being
exhibited in Tango Museums or in the pictures in near future as is. This
message might offend Marketing agents of tango milonguero, and
pseudo-milonguero(a)s.

I hate to see milongueros mentioned everywhere without the other side of the
Tango medallion, "milongueras" in marketing "tango milonguero" style a.k.a,
"clubber's tango style".A milonguero by himself is nothing, he gets his
power and charisma from his partner. However, from the marketing agents of
so-called tango milonguero thing, Milonguera has no value, they just host
milongas, everything is Milonguero, women have to dance with them to "feel",
then poor leader  has to make sure that he gives the same "feel" to his
partner in order to dance like milonguero. This is not the way how a dance
form learned/taught . Of course I'm exaggerating little bit, but you will
see what I mean, or send me hate email.

I call milongueros tango clubbers from 50s, they were the mainstream, like
these days clubbing that's why I call them clubbers? because milonguero(a)s
were dance club goers who were regulars of milongas in  lates 40s and 50s in
Buenos Aires. They were regular people in the society; they were engineers,
bartenders, teachers, housewifes, drivers, craftsmen, nurses etc.They didn't
have tango schools,so they didn't learn Tango in a systematic way. They were
not bailarines ether, they didn't practice for perfection, they had no
interest/business in tango pedagogy. They just wanted to dance Tango and
maintain/upgrade their social circles.

Of course, few talented milonguero(a)s who had developed their own style (
i.e. Maestro Gavito) and taught the elements to other dancers.

To sum up, learning Apilado style is good for everyone, especially for
"building skills on connection and communication in Tango" however, it
shouldn't be marketed as "learn how to dance like a milonguero".

Learning (or trying to copy) how to dance like a milonguero? Well, You need
a Time Machine.   Most of the milonguero(a)s have more than 40 years of
tango experience, so any pseudo-milonguero(a)  who has been  touched/trained
by a milonguero needs to wait 30-40 years to become a milonguero until then
they remain as tango dancers.

What they say " I rather dance Argentine Tango"

PS: I'm well aware of that i will receive a lot of hate emails again, if you
don't like what you read, just delete it, if you like it, feel free to share
with other tango dancers.