[Tango-L] Tango Festival Buenos Aires rescheduled for winter 2008

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Dec 18 08:45:39 EST 2007

Dear friends from Tango list, this is a translation from the press conference given by new minister of culture from buenos aires gov ernment ( on december 9th there was a change of government and therefore some civil servants were removed from their posts, one of them was Mrs Simon , director of the Festival, who was very upset for this removal and send an open letter of disagreement to the media, saying that the tango festival was cancelled for ever.

Well, the new organizer of the festival, is a long time tango organizer , so there is no way to cancel the festival, the decision was to reschedule to winter 2008

follow note
merry Xmas and a 2008 full of tango for all of you
alberto
Tango Marathon to survive winter
Tuesday 18rh december 2007 - published on the printed edition

At the Cafe Tortoni there were worried and upset faces , many tango musicians and a climate of tense expectation before the press conference for the Tango Festival started.
The fact is, one week ago , a letter by mail sent by the former (fired) director of the festival, Carolina Simon (present at the press conference to set her claim to the new organizers ), raise some doubts concerning the continuity of this tango event and also dennounced the disasembling of the production of the show. The new government of the city, headed by the culture minister ,Hernan Lombardi, counterreacted inmediately to this letter and ratified the continuity of the festival.
Yesterday, at this historic cafe, it was announced the reschedule of deadline dates and was presented in society the new artistic director , Gustavo Mozzi . " One month ago I was summoned to this post and never was in doubt the continuity of the festival. We have a line of artistic coincidence with the previous management , and we will keep many of the things that are already in schedule, but we decided to reschedule the event to august 2008, to be able to create special productions for this X edition of the festival " , said the artistic productor Mr Mozzi to La Nacion reporter.
The first decision of this former civil servant from the previous government of Major Telerman , known also for his job of artistic producer por the music series in CD Cafe de los maestros, was to change the date of the festival, originally programmed for next february 22nd and now confirmed for august 15th to 23rd .
The musical event will be linked to the World tango Championship,. that will start on august 23 and conclude on august 31 . Mozzi and Lombardi used the press conference as a way to send conciliatory messages to local tango community  and to calm rumours spreading from last thursday concerning the suspension of the festival .
The room of Tortoni Cafe was unable to contain all the people gathered, not only reportes, but musicians and tango producers , that were elbow to elbow trying to know what would happen with their personal venture in this new administration and organization of the festival.
Nearby Lombardi and Mozzi, there were singer Raul Lavie, milonga organizer Omar Viola and tango teacher and dancer Eduardo Arquimbau , while down the stage there were intensely listening well known musicians as Leopoldo Federico, Chula Clausi, Fernando Suarez, singer Alberto Podesta, Oscar Ferrari , Hugo Marcel and many members of the Union of Tipical Orchestras (UOT). " The organization will continue with the introducing of new line creators of music , special productions and there will not be international guests. We want to focus on national production ", remarked Mozzi.
At the place there were also many members of the production equipment that were not knowing wether they would keep their jobs or be fired.  " I think i will lose my job " said skeptically a producer.
About the confuse messages spreaded in press media comments the past days , when the people of the former production of the festival were sent to their homes until january 2008 , Mozzi just said " All changes are traumatic", but make clear inmediately that he want to keep the tango organization from the previous management. " I am proposing to follow with this new structure that we are setting off. For me, they are fundamental gears , because they know how the festival was made this past years. I think it will happen the same with the other areas involved in festivals"
By Gabriel Plaza
from the Press Room of La Nacion

Maratón de tango para pasar el invierno
Martes 18 de diciembre de 2007 | Publicado en la Edición impresa

En el Café Tortoni había caras de preocupación y fastidio, muchos músicos de tango y un clima de tensa calma antes de la anunciada conferencia de prensa del Festival de Tango. Es que hace una semana, un correo enviado por la ex directora del festival, Carolina Simón (presente para hacer su reclamo a la nueva gestión) había sembrado dudas sobre la continuidad del evento tanguero y había denunciado el desguace de los equipos de producción. La nueva gestión macrista, encabezada por el actual ministro de Cultura, Hernán Lombardi, salió enseguida al cruce de la información y ratificó la continuidad del festival.

Ayer, en el histórico café, se anunció el cambio de fechas y se presentó en sociedad a su flamante director artístico, Gustavo Mozzi. "Hace un mes que me convocaron y nunca estuvo en duda la continuidad del festival. Tenemos una línea de coincidencia artística con la gestión anterior y vamos a mantener muchas de las cosas que estaban programadas, pero decidimos pasarlo para agosto a fin de poder generar producciones especiales para esta edición", dijo el productor artístico Mozzi a LA NACION.

La primera decisión del funcionario de la gestión de Telerman en distintas áreas de cultura, conocido además por su labor como productor artístico en el Café de los Maestros , fue cambiar la fecha del festival, que originalmente estaba programado para el 22 de febrero y que finalmente se realizará entre el 15 y 23 de agosto.

El encuentro musical se enlazará con el inicio del Campeonato Mundial de Tango, que comenzará el 23 y concluirá el 31. Mozzi y Lombardi aprovecharon la conferencia para llevar tranquilidad a la comunidad tanguera y calmar los ánimos por los rumores de suspensión del festival, que habían circulado el jueves último. La sala del Café Tortoni quedó chica, abarrotada no sólo de periodistas, sino de músicos y productores que pugnaban por saber cuál sería su suerte con la nueva gestión. Rodeando a Lombardi y Mozzi, estaban Raúl Lavié, Omar Viola y Eduardo Arquimbau, mientras que debajo del escenario escuchaban atentamente reconocidos músicos como Leopoldo Federico, Chula Clausi, Fernando Suárez Paz, Alberto Podestá, Oscar Ferrari, Hugo Marcel y varios integrantes de la Unión de Orquestas Típicas (UOT). "La programación continuará con la línea de nuevos creadores, se sumarán producciones especiales y no habrá invitados internacionales.
 Queremos hacer foco en la producción nacional", acotó Mozzi.

En la sala, también se hicieron presentes algunos de los integrantes del equipo de producción que desconocía su destino con el cambio de dirección. "Creo que me quedo sin laburo", anunciaba con escepticismo un productor. Sobre los confusos episodios que se sucedieron en los últimos días, cuando la gente de producción del festival fue enviada a su casa hasta enero, Mozzi se limitó a decir: "Todos los cambios son traumáticos", pero enseguida aclaró que quiere mantener el equipo de tango de la anterior gestión. "Les estoy proponiendo seguir con esta nueva estructura que estamos armando. Para mí, son piezas fundamentales porque saben cómo se hizo el festival todos estos años. Creo que pasará lo mismo en las otras áreas de festivales."

Por Gabriel Plaza
De la Redacción de LA NACION

      Los referentes más importantes en compra/ venta de autos se juntaron:
Demotores y Yahoo!
Ahora comprar o vender tu auto es más fácil. Vistá ar.autos.yahoo.com/