[Tango-L] the best teachers in the world (previously - Don't blame your follower)

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Mon Dec 17 21:04:14 EST 2007

I am interested in what makes someone one of the 'best teachers in the world'. To my way of thinking, that is a pretty big claim and who you regard as the *best teacher in the world* would be influenced by the way you like to dance and also highly personal things like whether the particular teacher you are learning from is pitching their lessons at the correct level for you. Equally important is whether they have addressed all the administrative issues correctly like ensuring an even number of leaders and followers in their classes and calling regular cambios de parejas.

I have found that all teachers have their strong and weak points. Some are great at getting beginners (and others ;-)) to understand the basics. Others are able to articulate advanced steps like colgadas and volcadas in simple ways. Still others seem to really come into their own when teaching milonga or valz. So I would be hard pressed even assessing relative rankings of teachers in our local community, let alone awarding someone the title of *best teacher(s) in the world*.

It sounds a bit like a pizza shop I saw once in Clovis, New Mexico that claimed to make the best pizzas in the world. I thought those came from Naples, but what would I know... The title of that TenaciousD song 'the greatest song in the world' keeps popping into my head. We know the devil plays violin and occasionally, heavy metal guitar, but does the devil dance tango? I am sure he does and that if you can beat him in a tango competition by taking lessons from *the best teachers in the world* you should be able not only to keep your soul, but also win a pair of solid gold tango shoes :-).

Victor Bennetts

Tango for her>I have been blessed to have the best teachers in the world.