[Tango-L] Don't blame your follower

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 10:08:50 EST 2007

Sorry, Keith.  Looking through your recent posts, I see that you are, actually, one of the rare leaders that also gets tired of all of the mulititudes of leaders, even teachers, that really have a mindset that a lot of things are the follower's fault in tango.  (And, trust me.  That is told to me by more women than I can count.)  I commend you for straightening me out ... in a nice way.

  As for your last question, I prefer the follower who trusts me.  Many dance with their eyes closed.  I think that, with a contra boleo, they are at my mercy, anyway.  Again, when I lead it correctly (gulp!), there's enough energy in it to light up a city!  So, I wouldn't expect her to be in the situation to put the brakes on.  It's a pretty free-flying move.

  Besides, the floor our my canvas and the woman is my brush.  If I have built up her confidence to the point that she feels secure and becomes elastic, I wouldn't expect her to be trying to correct for my overwinding of her body.  It takes away from the ultimate art.  And, we have to remember.  The women are the ones that can dance!  We're just along for the ride, suggesting what we would like to see!

  Keith is right.  It WOULD be nice if the followers, out there, would speak up.

Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:
  Just to clarify my question to followers in my last post and to avoid any further misunderstading.

"If a guy overled a Boleo, would you follow through and hit the guy's leg or
would you control the Boleo and not hit his leg?"

Clarification - I'm not talking about a Low Boleo which can be overturned to cause the girl's leg to swing behind the guy's leg
resulting in a Gancho.

I'm talking about a High Boleo where the girl's raised leg hits the outside of the guy's leg. I'm assuming that's the Boleo that TFH
was talking about. TFH, correct me if I'm wrong.

Keith, HK