[Tango-L] Close embrace in close quarters.

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 12:57:44 EST 2007

I am a beginner (3mos) and would like to direct my own learning towards only that part of Tango that stresses the connection and the musicality. This is what interests me in the dance.  I would appreciate any input on which Tango sequences (patterns) can be danced in close embrace in crowded places as I want to spend my time learning/practising only those patterns that will get me around the dance floor directly and interestingly without diverting from the line of dance.
 I'm trying to put together a basic close-embrace foundation that I can learn by heart and then only listen for the music and be able to improvise by varying the sequences. Any suggestions of what to learn and the sequence of difficulty in learning them, (and/or any of the many things that I am not even aware of), would be greatly appreciated.
Sequences that I am already starting to concentrate on are: walking in parallel, walking outside right crossed footed, walk to the cross parallel, walk to the cross outside right crossed footed, back ochos from a side step to crossed footed, rock step, walking step in parallel, ocho cortado,  turns right and left from ocho cortado.  Please, add comments and suggestions.
Also, the best YouTube videos for studying the close embrace that I've found are those by;
Oscaracasas, pdtango, Mauitango.
Please, add any that you have found that concentrate on close embrace teaching.
The Milonga song/dance is another thing. I have read Tango-L archives on this dance with great interest.  I have never had a lesson in this dance but find it rather easy and  exciting.  I only have to listen to the music, get the beat, and go for it.  The Tango is another animal. There everything that I do 'naturally' is naturally wrong it seems...I feel like Im in a straight jacket trying to step thru hoops.  The only tango that I've seen that looks like it could save me is those done by Oleh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr21Qic4UPY
his tango has a freedom and musicality similar to the Milonga dance..
Well, there it is. I am obsessively watching 4 hrs of Youtube tango videos a day because I am visiting family in Mexico and have no close embrace teacher here.. I am from Philadelphia and my name is Mario... thanks for reading this far.