[Tango-L] Boleo/ contra-boleo

Jacob Eggers eggers.pierola at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 19:50:03 EST 2007

here is my take from a previously private email to igor:

My understanding is that:

both types of boleos start with a follower's pivot and then:

* for contra boleos the leader changes the direction of the follower's pivot
sending the free leg out and up
* for "with" boleos the leader stops the rotation of the upper torso and
allows the momentum of the free leg to continue wrapping around the standing
leg.

The extra contra energy generates centrifugal force and sends the free leg
away from the center of the pivot. Without the contra energy, the leg is not
sent out, but only around.

The mechanics of the knee only allow the free leg to wrap around the
standing leg during the front boleo. For this reason back boleos are best
led contra.

And, in my opinion forward boleos feel best when done without the contra
motion, it keeps the free leg nice and tightly wrapped around the standing
leg. And, it keeps the leg close to the axis in the unwrapping process as
well.