[Tango-L] Boleo/ contra-boleo

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:00:23 EST 2007

This is a difficult concept, to be sure, but here's my take on it. This
is just my way of conceptualizing and thinking about it. I'm sure there are other valid ways as well.

Let's say we're talking about a follower's left back boleo, meaning she is using her left foot.

I think about it like this: Any boleo requires a change in direction of
rotation (or more precisely a sharp acceleration in rotation). In a
normal boleo you "wind her up" CCW, then rotate her sharply back CW to
generate the kick of the boleo with her free left foot.

In a contra boleo, you don't do the CCW wind-up, you just rotate her
sharply CW (usually by a big step around her). The "change of
direction" is a defacto change to CW rotation from a relatively
stable/standing/stationary position (or it is a rapid acceleration in
CW rotational velocity)

To go further, she doesn't really need to be stationary either, as you
can use any "residual" or default CCW rotational momentum from whatever
previous step to do the contra boleo as well.

      TangoMoments.com