[Tango-L] Boleo/ contra-boleo

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Thu Dec 13 14:27:22 EST 2007

Igor asked about the difference. I am sure he knows boleos, so I am
posting at the risk of a retort claiming they are both technically
boleos, but here goes:
I think of leading boleos in two ways:
1.	  by moving my torso and frame "with" the womans pivot, in the
same direction  either clockwise (cw) or counterclockwise (ccw), and
stopping or changing my torso direction once her hips pass the fail-safe
point; or
2.	 "against" (contra) her rotation, ie., start by leading her to
pivot on one foot  cw and then after fail safe point generate boleo by
moving my torso and frame counterclockwise (ccw). Or vice versa.

Okay so both of these are boleos.  Entonces, maybe what Igor is asking
about is a double boleo, as in leading a left front boleo followed
immediately be a left back boleo, which can be continued indefinitely,
(but practically more than three is overkill).  Some people call these
"contra" boleos, even though  these could be led either with or against.
But its easier for me, and feels better,  to lead multiple boleos as
"against"  boleos.

-Martin Nussbaum