[Tango-L] What is tango? [Tango Clasico]

Korey Ireland korey at kodair.com
Mon Dec 10 12:28:49 EST 2007

I can't imagine why I'm replying to this, but for what its worth:

Has it occurred to the collective wisdom on the list that many of the
same dancers show up at el beso, and practica x, that one can often
see ocho cortados in close embrace at villa malcolm, and elements
generally described as nuevo at Sunderland?

The tango world (at least Buenos Aires ) is not nearly as segregated
and clearly defined as the discussion here suggests.

Furthermore the idea of "tango as it has been danced in buenos aires
for 60+ years" is almost meaningless as a definition.  I contend tango
in Buenos Aires has been in constant transition over these decades,
and that a dancer from the center of town and a dancer from the
outskirts would differ tremendously in interpretation of "the one true
tango."

Perhaps we can find an understanding of tango as an activity that
brings people together with a healthy mix of tradition and innovation
where there may be a wide range of styles and preferences.  I don't
see much to be gained by sub-dividing and segregating this sub-culture
beyond what happens just by preference.  And when we attempt to
define, pin-down, or limit this phenomena we only reveal the limits of
our perspectives.  (and of course all of us have limited perspective
on this activity which spans decades and continents, no one will know
definitively what its is, how it is practiced, or where its going....)

respectfully,
Korey