[Tango-L] What is tango?

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Dec 10 03:17:17 EST 2007

Alex wrote:
> Mis dos centavos...
>
> re: From: "Tango Society of Central Illinois"
> Subject: [Tango-L] What is tango?
>
> A] No - this is ballroom or "American" tango - a competitive "event".
> B] No - Finnish tango is based on ballroom

I think you're begin harsh.

I have qualms about A) because it's a codified dance (i.e. a stuffed animal).

Finnish tango, though, is not Argentine tango, but is definitely a true
social dance. More so than many "authentic" Argentine stage tango
performances. So it's actually quite close to the spirit (but not the
form) of Argentine tango. Certainly closer to it than to competition
ballroom.

It's not Argentine tango, but is it tango?

Alexis Cousein                                  al at sgi.com
Senior Systems Engineer/Solutions Architect     SGI/Silicon Graphics
--
<If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals>