[Tango-L] Musicality

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Dec 6 00:11:19 EST 2007

Musicality is essential, yet most of us learn it in a random,
intuitive process over time. It works, but it shouldn't be left to
chance. I am one who feels that musicality can be taught.... if the
teacher strategizes the learning sequence.

I would argue that EVERY class in tango should teach musicality, as
music is so fundamental. In particular, the initial learning must be
founded on music. This means BEAT (which is sort of obvious), but also
feeling the PHRASES, and a sense of the flow.

I learned tango with a rhythmic foundation, but now find myself more
attracted to a more lyrical understanding. I have an affinity for that
approach, as it starts relatively "directed" and moves toward
"experiential". I feel that complex layers fit on top of simpler or
layers. So, let's organize the learning: start simple, then move
complex.

Musicality classes for an experienced dancer can be profound,
interesting or  useless, but that has more to do with the student than
the teacher. If you are experienced it is always interesting to pick
up on ideas from someone who followed a different path. If you think
you already know everything, well, that is a definition of an
intermediate. I've been on this journey for 12 years, and I find the
classes on music and fundamentals FAR more interesting than a lesson
on steps.