[Tango-L] Structure vs. technique (formerly I wanna buy a tango book)

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Tue Dec 4 19:24:08 EST 2007

The book 'a passion for tango' goes into the whole deal, a bit of a brain dump from the author who also teaches. Like I said, I don't agree with everything in it, but it is far from worthless and many of the ideas are sound based on what I know of tango. There may just be a gap between ability and understanding. For instance, I knew from my first tango lesson that you need to lead with the chest, but it took me three years and (more importantly) a trip to BsAs to really understand what that means. I can't see the videos at all for the moment so can't comment. To me the main attraction of the book is - it is readily and easily available. However, now we have so many recommendations of other books (and my Spanish is a little better) I am going to have to dust off the credit card... Actually if anyone is interested, Amazon has a quite a few reviews of the book I mentioned and I am sure they go into much more detail than what I can give as it has been some time since I picked it up - too much to practice right now from all those teachers in BsAs :-).

Victor Bennetts