[Tango-L] Structure vs. technique (formerly I wanna buy a tango book)

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 13:59:26 EST 2007

Hi Victor,

I'm curious as to whether the book you recommend talks
about the structure of the steps as opposed to tango
technique.  Most books or websites deal with the former and
not the latter.  I think this difference is where many of
us have issues.

When I think of tango technique, I think of the quality of
movement.  There is so many layers to this, I don't think
it's possible to write a book to do it justice.

I have to agree with Krasimir's review of the instuctor in
question.  I only saw the first video, but he wasn't using
his whole body as one unit to produce elegance and grace.
This is what I look for in studying technique.  But I'm
sure he doesn't present himself as the know-all of tango
technique but is merely sharing his love and knowledge of
the dance.

Which leave us with the question of what exactly does the
original poster want - structure or technique?

Trini

--- Victor Bennetts <Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com> wrote:

> Krasimir, I don't find your response rude because it is
> not a personal attack. So far as I am concerned,
> criticism is fine and helpful, just so long as it is
> directed to the post and not the person.
>
> I agree with everything you say, but don't think this
> means the book is worthless. I just said the book had
> some good stuff in it IMHO, nothing about the author's
> videos or if he can dance. If you look on the amazon
> listing it is recommended by at least one well known US
> dancer who can dance really well and it was on the
> strength of that recommendation that I bought it. The
> book covers all the common figures like ochos, giros,
> boleos, ganchos so would be a good reference just to give
> you a catalogue of what is generally considered to be the
> tango repertoire. And I liked the guy's attitude, saying
> things like the 8 step basic wont teach you how to dance
> tango. I don't see why a bad dancer (if he is bad, I
> don't know) can't write a good book. You can be an
> armchair general and write a great biography of Napoleon
> without actually commanding an army in the field can't
> you?

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/