[Tango-L] Who leads what, who follows what

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 12:33:38 EST 2007

I get it, now.  You suck compared to the image of where
you'd like to be or the process you think it takes.
Actually, you can just start with giving her pleasure now.
Women just want to be paid attention to.

As for your music tastes, a big difference that helps me as
a follower is if the leader prepares me for a change in
tempo.  If he just pops it out on me, it doesn't work and
it leaves me feeling "What the ....?"  But, if he preleads
the change, it feels like "How interesting!".

You can also use your sense of music to ornament (e.g.
keeping her on one foot while you work the unusual beats).
One person I like watching for this is Richard Council.
When he's in our area, he always does a "fancy feet"
workshop that's fun.

If you work the rhythm, you can still leave room for her to
play with the melody.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- doug at swingfusion.com wrote:

> Manuel wrote:
>
> >> Something does not compute in this program.
> And more I cut out to make short.
>  ---------------------------------------
>
> I think each person decides for himself what is good
> tango dancing.  I don't
> judge.  After all, is just dance.  Is fun.  Is not my
> work.  Maybe you stop
> reading now if you think I try to tell anyone else what
> is good, what is not
> good.  I don't do that.  You decide for your self what is
> good, what sucks.
>
> But for me, I want to learn
> Tango, Vals, and Milonga.
> Apilado, Salon (closed & open), and Nuevo (whatever -
> back to back?).
> To be elastic and smooth, but with energy, give direction
> but to listen.
> To be patient but musical, calm but dynamic.
> To be tender and gentle but playful and rowdy(?).
> To dance small on crowded floor but use whole floor if
> empty.
> To walk with things to keep always woman on-axis, but
> also colgadas,
> volcadas and things to take woman off-axis.
> To do ganchos, wraps, traps, boleos, energy moves, usw.
> To lead and do all things clearly with balance and
> precision and accuracy
> and for the music.
> To make partner laugh and have fun.  This is not serious,
> is only dance.
>
> Then, I throw all away.  All.  And just dance with
> respect for music, for
> floor and for partner so each woman thinks I dance only
> for her.  Only for
> her pleasure and her fun.  Then I think I am good tango
> dancer.  Today I am
> good at some small little piece of tango.  But so what?
> In big picture, I
> suck.  And it is OK.  I still have fun every time I
> practice, every time I
> dance.
>
> My partner danced with me for over one hour this morning
> in my apartment.
> We laughed a lot.  We just walked.  We played.  We
> stopped and did things
> again and again.  We fixed volcada where she is standing
> on left foot.  Now
> it is very smooth, very supported, very comfortable for
> partner.  Can do
> very small or very big.  And it works always.  At least
> always today.  At
> least always today with her.  One small thing.  And we
> had a lot of fun.
>
> Tango is for me a 20 year project.  And that is good.
> Yes?

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/